Africa House is located in the heart of the historical Stone Town with a
great view over the Indian Ocean. The history of the building dates back 150
years. Its first owner was a wealthy slave trader from Oman, who shortly
before his death handed it over to the Sultan of Zanzibar. In 1888 the first
English Club of East Africa opened in this former royal residence.
The original interior included a bar, restaurant, library, billiard room
and guest rooms. At a later stage a terrace was built, which is the present
Sunset Bar. After the revolution in 1964 the government took over the building
and converted it into a hotel. Over the years the building deteriorated,
until an Omani investor and flight captain came to the rescue.
Following a successful restoration with special attention to decor and
interior design, Africa House has once again regained its former
In accordance to its history the entire hotel is tastefully furnished with
Persian carpets, antiques, original photos, paintings, hand carved canopy
beds and Zanzibarian handcrafts. The impressive marble stairs are from 1896.
All 15 Deluxe Rooms have bath/WC, air conditioning, minibar, tv, telephone,
tea/coffe facilities and either a view over the Indian Ocean or the roof tops
of Stone Town.
The Sunset Bar is located on the first floor and is a popular meeting place in
Stone Town. Combined with a cool cocktail, guests can watch the most beautiful
spectacle of Zanzibar - the moment, when the glowing red sun sinks into the
Indian Ocean. Grill specialties are served in the Sunset Grill, and the
Tradewinds Restaurant offers traditional and international menu.
The hotel library has an impressive collection of first editions and historical
books from the times of the English Club. In the Games Room guests can enjoy
a game of pool or darts surrounded by colonial memorabilia.
Once a week a live band performs in the Sunset Bar.